Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

Monday, May 19, 2008

H&M African Queen_0001
WHAT THE GEORGE BUSH IS THIS?

So I'm out having a lovely lunch with my BFF on Friday and I'm handed this free mag from H&M. Now I love free ish, I Love Love Love mags and I do love me some H&M, so I thought I'd hit the trifecta (I should've known from the cover. But I just shoved it in my new hobo bag and headed back to my office. But then a hour later I took it out and almost tossed my Kashi lean three oatmeal cookies!

THIS IS WHAT AN MUTHAFUDGIN' AFRICAN QUEEN LOOKS LIKE HUH?
H&M Cover_0001

Ok, what? Now I'm all for art. And "ethnic" prints are going to be huge this summer. And I think it's great that the UK based clothier went to South Africa to do this shoot but riddle me this, were all the African models already booked?

And don't give me that bull ish that there's white folks in South Africa. I know this. But I also know that Whites, held over from the apartheid era, only make up 9%, nine, as in less than 10, of the population.


H&M inside_0001

And then, not only do they NOT use a sista, they go out and find the skinniest, raggediest, must un-ethnic chick the could find. Missy Raydar? Come on. This is her out of her "ethnic" stance.


And see this is the ish that gets me hot. Black women already struggle with our media image. And granted you have seen more black women in mainstream media but look carefully at those sistas, 80% of them are very fair skinned, with long or wild and curly hair. And when a global company has an opportunity to give an African model some shine, what do they do? Import a skinny ass white girl. Real nice H&M. Real nice.

3 comments:

Tsetsi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tsetsi said...

You are so right. You'd think with all the talk about Black models dissappering from the runway H&M would be smarter about this. I know South Africa is a very diverse country... but this is what you do for a nation that at one time wouldn't even allow the book "Black Beauty"?!?!? Their jeans don't even fit "African" bodies so I shouldn't be surprised.The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Oh well back to Burlington Coat Factory we go!!

Tsetsi said...

Contact
United States
H&M Hennes & Mauritz LP
215 Park Ave. South, 15th floor
New York, N.Y. 10003
Tel: +1 - 212 564 9922